Wednesday, May 22, 2013

5 Things I Am Changing for Health

1.  I start every morning out with a green smoothie.  Well, actually I have a cup of coffee first.  Maybe someday that will change too, but for now it makes me very happy.  I used to drink at least 2 cups in the morning, now one does just fine.  I look forward to my smoothie every morning.  Most days it take the place of breakfast.  It makes me feel like I've started this day with the best food that I can have for my body.  It fills me up and keeps me going. 

This is what was in my smoothie today:
1 handful fresh organic Kale
1 handful organic mixed greens (from a bag)
Almond milk
Plain Kefir
1 Banana
2 handfuls of frozen peaches, strawberries, and bananas
1 handful of frozen pineapple
1 teaspoon of Chia Protein Powder
Drizzle of honey to sweeten
 
Throw it all in together and blend until smooth.  I keep coming back to this one.  It's my favorite!

2.  I am eating salad for lunch.  Most days I have a spinach salad with strawberries, pears, or apples (whatever is in my kitchen), cheese (again whatever I have-usually feta, blue cheese, or Colby Jack), almonds, and topped with balsamic vinaigrette.  Other days when I'm in the office and couldn't find time to make lunch, I buy a delicious tuna salad with lettuce, cucumbers, onions, carrots and topped with a homemade vinaigrette dressing.  So yummy!

I find that eating this way doesn't make me feel hungry.  I am satisfied and healthy!

3.  I am buying and cooking more vegetables for my family.  I'm trying to always have something on hand that is fresh.  I would like to change the portions that we are eating.  As Americans we tend to have meat as the biggest part of our meal, then starches and lastly (it seems) veggies.  So I am trying to make veggies cover more of our plates and less of everything else.  Luckily my kids love vegetables so this shouldn't be so hard.  Getting my husband to eat more veggies might be tougher.  He could just eat the meat for dinner and be happy with it.

4. I am reading blogs and books on health.  Learning can be scary these days, but it only fuels my desire to keep us healthy.  Every day I learn something new that can help us feel better.  Today I learned that we won't be eating hot dogs and lunch meat unless they are nitrate free.  Apparently this causes cancer and there have been bans dating back to the 70's.  Finally there are enough studies for change.  I am also learning how to help my husband with his heart burn.  This may be a tough one!

5.  All of our household products are organic and green.  I am done with chemicals.  We have enough chemicals walking in on our shoes every day.  Our new policy is, "shoes off at the door".  I'm hoping this helps minimize the chemicals in our home, improving our air quality and health.  It will hopefully help out with the sweeping and vacuuming too.  It is so hard to stay on the family when everyone is, "just coming in to get one thing".  We will get there!

What things are you all doing to stay healthy or change your ways?  Changing is so hard!  I struggle daily with sweets.  I have to remember to take things slowly so that everything becomes routine.  My goal isn't to give up sweets, but to eat them less frequently.  I want to live a happy life too.  Depriving isn't happy to me!  Live healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!